I thought first edits would be easier this time. I was wrong. The manuscript spent months with me writing, revising, and hopefully improving. It spent December with an editor fixing all the grammatical errors – punctuation, spelling, structure. The first two weeks of January were spent with the conceptual editor. She was looking for the overall message and flow of the book. She was asking what needed improvement, clarification, or changing.
The last two weeks it was back with me. I evaluated her feedback and suggestions. I clarified things I hadn’t explained well. Following her feedback led to rewriting the beginning of my introduction. Trying to add more questions to each devotion somehow led to me reformatting the activity part of the completely. This was where it was harder than I expected. I thought I wouldn’t need as major of changes this time as I did on my first book. I guess they weren't quite as major, but definitely more than I expected.
I’m happy with the changes though and I’ve worked on it until I feel I could begin to undo my hard work. I sent it back to the editor this morning. I get a break for the next two weeks while the editor works through all my changes and gets the manuscript to its “final” form. I’ll get one more chance to look for errors and make corrections later in February.