I've moved

I've moved!
Come read my current posts at www.MukkoveJohnson.com
Buy books and stay up on book signings and other happenings, too.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Intimacy in Rest


I have an image I often see, but can never draw, of me sitting on God’s arm, leaning against His chest.I am very much stretching my longing to have everything “just so” posting this sketch! I only let myself erase once. It’s about the message – not my artistic talent – or lack there of.


This image used to make me think I was close to the Father. Most certainly it is my favorite place of rest.  Awhile ago though he showed me that while I was close we were not all that intimate. In my position of rest on His arm I do not look at His face. I do not gaze into His eyes. Why?
Intimacy requires trust. Closeness does, too but it’s different. I avoid the eyes because eyes reveal so much, expressions speak so strong. What if those eyes are hurt? Disappointed? Judging? What if He doesn’t like what He sees in my eyes? What if He doesn’t like me anymore than I do? Those are questions I tend to stay away from, but because I have I have also stayed away from His gaze.

Looking in the eyes of my husband over our anniversary weekend made me realize in a new way what I was missing out on by avoiding God’s eyes. I am blessed to start every day in my husband’s arms. We sit together and drink our first cup of coffee. The way we sit I lean against him as my back rest and don’t see his face. On our weekend we had more face to face time than normal. It was amazing to me how powerful the love in his eyes was. Instead of just resting in his arms knowing how much he loves me I could see the love he has for me. Yes sometimes those eyes are showing how I have hurt or disappointed him, but that weekend it was love, acceptance, pride, respect, and honor. It was overwhelming.

I now know I am missing that in my Father’s gaze. Yes, I risk seeing hurt or disappointment, but I am missing the empowering love that flows from His eyes, the expressions of love on His face.

I’m pondering too many thoughts to get sorted out for this post so I went looking for verses on His face. I’m simply listing the ones that spoke to me. I pray they will speak to you as well.

Numbers 6:24-26 The LORD bless you and keep you;
the LORD make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you;
the LORD lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.

Psalms 11:7 For the LORD is righteous; he loves righteous deeds; the upright shall behold his face.

Psalms 27:8 You have said, "Seek my face." My heart says to you, "Your face, LORD, do I seek."

Isaiah 54:8 In overflowing anger for a moment I hid my face from you, but with everlasting love I will have compassion on you," says the LORD, your Redeemer.

1Peter 3:12 For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and his ears are open to their prayer.

Question: Do you seek His face? Do you look into the Father’s face? Do you allow His gaze to search your eyes?
Challenge: Make Psalms 27:8 your prayer today. 

~ You have said, "Seek my face." My heart says to you, "Your face, LORD, do I seek."~

No comments:

Post a Comment