I've moved

I've moved!
Come read my current posts at www.MukkoveJohnson.com
Buy books and stay up on book signings and other happenings, too.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Practicing Rest

rest
image All Rights Reserved © Lamplight 2012
I’m nearly half way through my year of focusing on rest. Not that I have been resting all year. I would really like to say that I have been, especially spiritually; but I haven’t been.
Yesterday I was silently pleading with God for answers and peace.
“I’m tired” I thought.

“Rest” he said.

I have been learning about rest, not so much learning to rest. I have learned, sometimes and in some things. 

I am a person who likes plans – detailed, thorough plans. My life has very little of those right now. Instead of applying what I have learned and resting in the love of my Father I was tiring myself out trying to find answers and make plans.

I am reminded again as Psalms 62 says God is the only place of rest. My plans, even the best ones I can imagine are not a place to rest. They are unstable and always subject to change. Resting in God my rock is the only place I will not be shaken.

To learn to rest I must practice. When I'm wondering and scheming for the future I must remember his promises to me.

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.(Jeremiah 29:11)
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.(Romans 8:28)
But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.(Philippians 4:19)
Question: How do you practice resting in the Lord?
Challenge: Search your heart for an area you are not resting. Search the Bible to see what God has to say about it.




No comments:

Post a Comment