I've moved

I've moved!
Come read my current posts at www.MukkoveJohnson.com
Buy books and stay up on book signings and other happenings, too.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Resting in Detours


Lead me, O LORD, in thy righteousness because of mine enemies; make thy way straight before my face.  (Psalms 5:8)
While on our way to the Airport in unfamiliar territory we ran into a detour. It was about 3:30 am. There was just one sign pointing us out of town. From all obvious signs the detour headed out into the country never to return. We headed off into the dark early morning and after a few miles were relieved and somewhat surprised to see another detour sign heading us in the right direction.
One week later, in the same place, at the same time in the morning, with massive rain, lightning and thunder we again came to the detour sign. We turned as before and almost before we knew it we are at the next detour sign, the one we thought would never come a week before. Why the change?
The Lord impressed on my heart that this was a picture of resting in Him. Traveling through life on a new route, with unknown circumstances it is easy and natural to worry, stress, and even be afraid. I’m not after easy and natural. I want supernatural. Thankfully God has provided that for me. The circumstances may be new but God never changes. I can rest in Him and travel with ease because not only does He know the way – He designed it! Regrettably I do not always choose to rest in Him and thus my travel is not always easy.
The second trip around the detour was stress free because we had traveled that way one week earlier. Walking through life’s challenges can be equally stress free when we realize Jesus traveled the detour the first time. He arrived, completely victorious. Stress, worry and fear now are only in my life if I allow them. That hurts because often I do allow them. I quickly forget Jesus has made the way. I do not need to know the entire path, I know The Way, Jesus.
Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass(Psalms 37:5)

Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee.  (Psalms 143:8)

Question:  Has your life experienced a detour? Are you on one right now?
Challenge: Check your heart for anywhere your way is being treated as more important than God’s. Repent – turn around to get back on His path.

No comments:

Post a Comment