I've moved

I've moved!
Come read my current posts at www.MukkoveJohnson.com
Buy books and stay up on book signings and other happenings, too.

Friday, September 30, 2011

Promised Land * Part 3

We left Moses in chapter 5 complaining to God about how things turned out when he requested a break for the Hebrews. I too often find myself inwardly complaining about how things are turning out. I’d like it to be so much easier. Much more immediate.
 In Exodus 6 God restates to Moses his covenant to Abraham and his promise to bring Israel from Egypt to make them his people.
            
    And Moses spake so unto the children of Israel: but they hearkened not unto Moses for anguish of spirit, and for cruel bondage. Exodus 6:9 

I regret to say I have often responded to truth and God’s promises that way- unable to listen because I was too focused on my hurt, confusion, or whatever form of “anguish of spirit”. I frequently deal with that in my son as well. It makes wish I had learned my lessons better and sooner. It also makes me more determined to learn them now and to train him with the foundation to stand on God’s promises despite feelings and perspective.
   
  And Moses spake before the LORD, saying, Behold, the children of Israel have not hearkened unto me; how then shall Pharaoh hear me, who am of uncircumcised lips?  Exodus 6:12

Moses is discouraged when the people don’t listen to him. I always understood that until studying this time when I realized God had already told Moses the plan was not going to work right away. Why was he surprised or discouraged by the trouble he knew was coming? Why am I? Focus. When I focus on my feelings, my wishes, my way, my whatever, I lose sight of God and that opens me to discouragement. I easily forget that Jesus told us we would have trouble, enemies, and hard times. I don’t want any of that. When I remember it not all about me and focus on God I get a very different picture. How can I relate with compassion to someone who is grieving if I have had no loss myself? I have to value others enough to pay the price to identify with them. Jesus did.

Are the ones Jesus died for worth my inconvenience? Too often my attitude says “no, not really”. I’m hurting. This is hard for me. They just don’t understand.

Drawing close to the Father is the only answer. Close enough to feel his heartbeat, to cherish his love. When I receive his love how can I not love those he loves? How can I not be willing to sacrifice everything for them to know his love as well?



Promised Land – Part 1


Promised Land – Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment