I've moved

I've moved!
Come read my current posts at www.MukkoveJohnson.com
Buy books and stay up on book signings and other happenings, too.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Resting in Commitment


“…for where you go, I will go, and where you lodge, I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God, my God. Where you die, I will die, and there I will be buried. Thus may the LORD do to me, and worse, if anything but death parts you and me." Ruth 1:16b-17


This week my husband and I will be celebrating 18 years of marriage.  We have had hard times, but not usually with each other. We have seen couples around us fall apart. Thankfully we have also seen some make the commitment to make their marriage work. We’ve had many discussions over the years as to why our marriage seems to be different. One thing we have seen is commitment.


We committed to each other, before we got married and publicly when we did, that we would stay together forever. We meant it, as I’m sure most couples do. More than just having the best of intentions we knew there was no way out so the only choice is to make it work. There is a peace, a rest that comes from knowing someone has that kind of commitment to you. Energy is not spent on wondering what will happen or if this mess is bad enough to make them leave. I can rest in his love for me because I didn’t earn it and we both know I don’t deserve it.


So much like my Father and my Savior. I can rest, though I often don’t, in His love for me. No mess I ever make will remove me from His love – He already died for me! Why would he give up on me now? I can rest in His plans for me. I can rest in His protection and taking up my case.  His commitment to me does not depend on my commitment to Him. I am committed to Him, and that opens the door to relationship. My failing to keep my commitment to Him also does not affect His commitment to me. 

That is commitment I can rest in.

Question: How do you view commitment?
Challenge: Is there a commitment you need to look at again? Take a closer look at God's commitment to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment