I've moved

I've moved!
Come read my current posts at www.MukkoveJohnson.com
Buy books and stay up on book signings and other happenings, too.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Resting in His Calling


1 Corinthians 7:20  Let every man abide [stay, rest] in the same calling wherein he was called. 2 Thessalonians 1:11  Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power:
 2 Timothy 1:9  Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,
There is so much pressure in our culture. Perhaps it comes from comparing.  A few weeks ago ThePower of Moms posted Your Children Want You. It created quite a stir. April shared how easy it is to feel like a failure in our culture. We look around at the store, at church, and even at home thanks to the internet. In all these places it’s easy to compare our worst with everyone else’s best. I haven’t seen too many project failures on Pintrest.
I struggle with this even when it comes to how I spend my time. As an author there is more advice than I could ever even read about what I NEED to be doing to make my books successful. If I can’t even read it all there no way I can DO it all.
I homeschool my children. The list of options and possibilities is again more than could be done in a lifetime, much less a school career, or this year.
 I’m a Christian. I’m sure you are aware of how many great Christian causes and organizations there are out there, all of which need volunteers and support. If I’m not careful I can feel the pressure to be and do more all the time- even within the church. Maybe it’s my people pleasing personality. Someone shares how they experienced God or what God is leading them to do and I receive it as pressure to be like that, too. Sometimes it comes across as “If you’re not doing xyz, you’re missing God.” God made us all different and we will each live out our faith differently according to our personalities, gifting and seasons of our life.
To combat all these influences I must rest in what God has called me to in this season. To rest I must know. What is His calling for me?
As I was searching for verses on calling I found the word used is not as much of a vocational call as we often use it but an invitation. How like our Father? He is inviting us to believe. Inviting us into relationship.
Ephesians 1:17-23  That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:  (18)  The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,  (19)  And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,  (20)  Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,  (21)  Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:  (22)  And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,  (23)  Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.
He also has things for us to do.

1 Corinthians 1:24-28  But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.  (25)  Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.  (26)  For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:  (27)  But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;  (28)  And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:

We are to confound the wise and mighty and bring to nought things that are against our Father’s Kingdom.

I can’t be pressured for that to look the same in my life as in anyone else’s.  God has called me into relationship with him. He has called me to care for my family. So, though I do want my books to be successful; I do believe they are valuable tools for families, they didn’t make my list. If my books are a success and I don’t have a lasting relationship with my children I have failed. My children will be grown all too soon. I can work on marketing my books, after I have taken care of the things that matter. Making my home beautiful, serving in ministries, writing more books all have to come after God and my family. Taking care of my home and making it functional and beautiful is part of blessing my family, if I don’t neglect them in the process.
I can rest in God’s promise that if I seek him first, his calling, his invitation, ALL these things will be added to me. (Matthew 6:33)
I can rest knowing God will give me the wisdom and resources to handle everything he has called me to do. There’s no promise of resources for the tasks I give myself.
Question: Do you feel pressured to be or do more by our culture? By others? By yourself?
Challenge: Ask God what he is calling you to. Commit to rest in his calling regardless of any pressures to be or do more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment