I've moved

I've moved!
Come read my current posts at www.MukkoveJohnson.com
Buy books and stay up on book signings and other happenings, too.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Resting in Obsessing

I tend to obsess. I hate it, or I used to. The other day I asked God, “If I’m going to obsess why is it not about You or my family? Why is it about me and all that’s wrong? What do I do?”
The quiet witness in my spirit said, “Repent of partnering with fear in every way, and condemnation. Confess peace, safety and freedom.”
So simple?
Yes, but not so easy. My obsessing was partnering with fear, over and over and over. Then I would condemn myself for doing so.
I’m changing my obsession. I can obsess about my beautiful Lord- His goodness, His light, His Word, the wonder of His love, hope, and peace. Isn’t this what meditation is?
Psalms 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
 Psalms 77:12 I will meditate also of all thy work, and talk of thy doings.
 Psalms 119:15-16 I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.  (16)  I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.
 Philippians 4:8  Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
 Joshua 1:8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
God is so good! Meditating on Him and His Word is to our benefit!
Psalms 119:2 Princes also did sit and speak against me: but thy servant did meditate in thy statutes.
God’s statutes are better than the counsel of any wise man of earth.

I also decided, “Why not turn my obsession to prayer? Prayer without ceasing.” (1 Thessalonians 5:17) Maybe obsessing is a gift to an intercessor? How like Satan to twist it for his purposes so it cannot be used against him.

When I find myself obsessing I turn it to prayer.
If it is about what to do for school, I thank God He gives wisdom to those who ask and I ask.
If it’s about a relationship in trouble I pray for peace and insight. I thank God that He loves everyone involved and ask Him to show them His love.
If it’s about going to run errands I do my best to breathe and ask Him for wisdom and clear thinking. I remember He has given me all grace to do everything He has for me to do, and do it well. (Hebrews 13:21, 2 Corinthians 9:8, Colossians 1:10)

Question: Do you obsess? Is it a curse or a gift?
Challenge: Choose one negative obsession and find God’s answer to obsess on. Please share if you feel comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment